Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ellie McKenna is here!

Finally! Ellie McKenna was born on February 16, 2011 at 5:44 AM. She weighed 9 lbs 6 oz and was 20 inches in length. Perfect, healthy, and a blessing!

Long story: Ellie was originally due on 2/8/11. This pregnancy was a little more challenging than my first (also not a picnic). I was sick constantly until about 18 weeks and then progressed to throwing up several times a week until the day before I delivered. I was put on modified rest and restrictions several times, which is practically impossible when you are the main caregiver of a toddler! Fortunately the troubles weren't more serious than that and the pregnancy was considered healthy otherwise.

On Monday 2/14, we had an ultrasound to check on the baby's status. She was swimming all around. The tech took some measurements and then turned to me and said, "Just so you are aware, she's going to be a big baby. Very big." Turns out her measurements showed that Ellie was going to be approximately 9 lbs 11 oz. Um, what? I nearly cried and my husband started choking back laughter. Mia wasn't a little baby either at 8 lbs 11 oz, but an entire pound more? Really? I'd only gained 15 lbs total this entire pregnancy and the midwife had told me a week before that she'd be surprised if Ellie weighed more than 8 lbs.

My OB called later that afternoon and we discussed the idea of going the C-section route because of her size. I was adamantly opposed and asked that the induction scheduled for 2/17 be moved up instead. He agreed to that and we ended the call with the plans for me to be induced on 2/16.

I spent 2/15 running around doing errands. Laundry, organizing the last of the baby stuff, boiling bottles, a Target trip. At Target I complained to my mom that my back was killing me and I just wanted to sit down. When we got home, I kept up the chores and finally sat down to eat dinner when Mia went to bed. Immediately after, I started having stomach pains. Not unusual...pregnancy is hard on your system. I dealt with the cramps while lying on the couch and catching up on DVR'd shows. Finally at 11, I decided to go to bed. Here's where I become a little slow. Folks, this isn't my first child. I have gone through labor. The last time, my aunt had to gently suggest that I might be in labor before it sunk in. This time, I had to go to bed and realize the pains were coming quicker and harder in order to realize that huh, I might be in labor. At this point, they were 6 minutes apart and starting to really hurt. I stayed in bed next to my snoring, clueless husband and breathed through them for awhile before realizing they were now 4 minutes apart. At this point, I woke up James and said that the baby was not going to be waiting for tomorrow's scheduled induction - we needed to go now. He panicked and helped me pack my bag (procrastination, much?) while I called my mom and asked her to come over. At this point it was 1:30 AM. By the time she got here, 10 minutes later, the contractions were now on top of each other and I was in a ton of pain.

We got to the hospital by 2 AM and I had to stop 4 times on the short walk up to Labor and Delivery. I immediately got into bed and had several hard contractions that had me yelping. The midwife checked me and found I was now almost 8 cm and my water was about to break. I panicked and asked for the epidural, ASAP. My delivery with my first daughter was long and hard, with three hours of pushing and tearing that required more stitches than I care to remember. The recovery was awful and it took me almost 12 weeks before I could say I was feeling fairly normal again. I wasn't going through that without the drugs. I labored hard for another 40 minutes and was finally able to get the epidural at 9 cm. This gave me a few minutes to breathe and get myself together. And this time, the epidural was fabulous. I could still move my legs and feel things, but I had a lot of pain relief as well. With Mia, I was completely immobile with it and couldn't feel a darn thing. Didn't love that.

At 4:40 AM, my water broke and I was completely dilated. We decided to let the baby move down a bit on her own and at 5:15, I started pushing. The midwife was fabulous and knew I was very nervous about the tearing again - I couldn't imagine being in that much pain for an extended amount of time while caring for two kids. She worked with me and at 5:44 AM, Ellie McKenna was born. She had a head of dark hair and was a little quiet, which worried me. Her intial Apgar score was a 6 (not fabulous) and they suctioned her a bit. Second score was a 9 - whew. I put her right on my chest and she looked around with wide eyes. I couldn't get over how alert she was - and she was vocal! Ellie started crying and would not stop until she was fed and comfortable. She was weighed and measured and the nurses couldn't believe her size. I was stunned when they said she weighed 9 lbs 6 oz, because everything was so quick! The midwife confirmed that I had a small tear, but nothing like Mia's. We were upstairs in the maternity ward by 11 AM on Wednesday and accepting visitors shortly thereafter. Mia met her sister and it was seriously the sweetest thing ever, as she proclaimed "baby is cute!" and "1,2,3 wake up Baby Ellie." By noon the next day, we were home and on cloud nine. I feel fantastic - barely any pain and I'm up and doing things comfortably.

Ellie is a fantastic baby - she's calm, sweet, and easy going. I am totally enjoying every moment with my two girls and relishing in our family of four. I've watched close friends battle with fertility issues and it makes it all the more poignant for me. I know how lucky we are to have Mia and Ellie and I wouldn't change it for the world.

1 comment:

  1. YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Mama you have 2 beautiful little girls there!

    ReplyDelete